Donna Douglas, who played the “critter-loving bombshell Elly May Clampett” in the hit 1960s TV series The Beverly Hillbillies is suing Barbie manufacturers, Mattel over its Elly May Barbie doll. The actress filed a federal lawsuit, in Louisiana, which claims Mattel is “engaging in the unauthorized use of (her) name, likeness, image and attributes” as Elly May, as CNN reports:
Douglas never gave Mattel permission to market the doll or use her endorsement to promote it, according to court papers. Yet, the suit says, a photo of Douglas in character as Elly May is used in the packaging, and Mattel boasts in promotional material that the doll “captures the essence of the classic ‘60s TV character and show.”
Mattel said through a spokesman that the company “licensed the rights to ‘Beverly Hillbillies’ for this product through the appropriate channels.” Douglas’ attorney, Philip J. Shaheen, did not respond to requests for comment.
Douglas’ suit seeks damages in excess of $75,000 for each of four alleged violations of her right to control her public image, likeness, endorsements and publicity as Elly May Clampett, a character closely identified with her. She is demanding a jury trial.
The Daily Telegraph has published a gallery “of the other celebrity Barbie dolls that Mattel has produced over the years” and a “Top 10 Barbie Facts”:
1. Barbie’s real name is Barbie Millicent Roberts
2. She is from Willows, Wisconsin, and went to Willows High School
3. She was based on a German doll called Bild Lilli
4. Barbie is 52-years-old, having been introduced in 1959
5. The first Barbie doll cost $3 (£2)
6. She has had more than 50 pets.
7. Her boyfriend Ken first appeared in 1961
8. They split up in 2004 after 43 years
9. Barbie has had more than 80 careers including fashion model, Olympic athlete, astronaut and palaeontologist
10. She has run for the White House twice as “President Barbie”
A full selection of celebrity Barbies can be seen here.
Supergirl, Wonder Woman and Batgirl Barbies
Debbie Harry Barbie and Joan Jett Barbie
More celebrity Barbies and Kens after the jump…
Via the Daily Telegraph