Here’s my annual Christmas mix set to Rene Cardona’s holiday classic Santa Claus Vs. Satan.
This year I avoided any Christmas tunes and went for songs that had a festive lite psychedelic and bubble gum vibe. If you’re sick to death of the same ol’ same ol’, then this might be a nice alternative for you to listen to while decorating the tree. Or instead of a Yule log on the TV, put this in your DVD player on repeat and watch the wild tale of jolly old Santa and the devilish Pitch while tripping to some hippie dippy tunes.
Here’s the Wikipedia description of the film in case you have problems following the surreal plot:
On December 24, Santa makes preparations for his yearly journey at his Toyland castle in outer space. He plays the organ while his children helpers from all over the world sing. Meanwhile, in Hell, Lucifer instructs his chief demon Pitch to travel to Earth and turn the children of the world against Santa.
In a busy marketplace, Pitch attempts to convince five children to “make Santa Claus angry”: Lupita, a poor girl; Billy, the son of wealthy but negligent parents; and three troublemaking brothers. Pitch fails at convincing Lupita to steal a doll from a vendor but succeeds in convincing the brothers to break a shop window. Santa’s child workers alert him to these events.
Unable to travel to Earth before nightfall on Christmas Eve, he instead uses equipment to watch Pitch and the children. One device allows him to view Lupita’s dream, induced by Pitch, in which she is tormented by life-sized dancing dolls who entice her to steal. He also listens as the three brothers plot to break into Billy’s home and steal his presents. They also attempt to write a letter to Santa claiming they have been good, but Santa’s voice informs them that he can see all they do.
Merlin the Wizard, Santa’s most trusted assistant, gives Santa a sleep inducing powder and a flower that allows him to disappear. He then retrieves a magic key that will open any door on Earth from Vulcan and prepares his mechanical reindeer. On Earth, the three rude boys plot to capture and enslave Santa. Meanwhile Lupita and her mother say a prayer and Lupita says that she has wished for two dolls, one of which she will give to Baby Jesus.
During Santa’s journey, Pitch makes several unsuccessful attempts to sabotage Santa’s delivery of toys in Mexico City. Santa succeeds in reuniting Billy with his parents, who had left him alone to go to a restaurant. On a city rooftop, the three brothers prepare to capture Santa and steal his toys. They see Santa’s sleigh in the sky and hurry indoors to find that they have only received coal. After a failed attempt to steal the sleigh, Pitch succeeds in emptying Santa’s dream powder bag while Santa drops the disappearing flower.
Santa’s trip is nearly complete when he is chased by a vicious dog outside a large house in Mexico. Finding himself without the powder or the flower he climbs a tree to escape the dog. Pitch appears and proceeds to wake the household and calls the fire department to report a fire at that location, so Santa will soon be seen by many people. With dawn approaching, Merlin assists with a last-minute escape and Pitch is defeated after being doused with the spray from a fire hose.
Before returning to the castle Santa makes one final stop, leaving a doll for Lupita. His labors now completed, Santa steers the sleigh back to the castle, content in the knowledge that he has brought happiness to all of the Earth’s children
01. Paisley Teddy Bear - The Hello People
02. Pancake Trees - Jefferson Lee
03. Golden Kite - Cinnamon Ship
04. Freak Street - Roy Harper
05. Psychiatric Case - Dead Sea Fruit
06. Good Dream - Rockadome
07. Bottom Of The Soul - Bonniwell Music Machine
08. Soda Pop Man - The Back Alley
09. The Laughing Man - John Carter and Russ Alquist
10. Press Right Here - Martin and Martin
11. Confusion - Randy and The Rest
12. Oh What A Good Boy Am I - Damon
13. Dream Machine - Svensk
14. Man In The Moon - Village
15. Moontalk - Tommy Roe
16. In My Mind Lives A Forest - Rainy Daze
17. Wispy Paisley Skies - Fraternity Of Man
18. Green Plant - Cherry Smash
19. She - Tuesday’s Child
20. Joyride - The Bright Green Pleasure Machine
21. Thank You Very Much - Scaffold
22. Que Coisalinda - Os Incrives
23. Strange Walking Man - The Mandrake Paddle Steamer
24. Dogs In Baskets - The Geranium Pond
25. Behold The Lillies - Neighborhood Children
26. No More Lollipops - Peter Sarsted
27. Sign Of The Queen - Noel Harrison
28. Somethings Happening - Last Friday’s Fire
29. It’s Wonderful - The Young Rascals
30. Jam Up Jelly Tight - Tommy Roe
31. Finders Keepers - Salt Water Taffy
32 Quick Joey Small - Kasenetz and Katz
33. Captain Groovy and His Bubble Gum Army - Captain Groovy
34. Dancin’ - Bobby Blue
35. Garden Of Love - Randy Johnson