Earlier this month, the Colorado Department of Transportation rolled out a series of PSAs to discourage folks from driving while they’re stoned. While I agree no one should drive while they’re high—hell, I don’t think people should even drive while taking Benadryl, cold/ flu medications, painkillers or especially too much coffee—these commercials seem pretty silly to me. The stereotypical dum-dum stoner is in full effect here.
I posted all three commercials here for your viewing pleasure. I also added some choice comments from the general public from the YouTube comments. I’m not endorsing these comments, I am merely stating “here they are” and “make of this what you will.”
- Nobody gets high alone, bullshit PSA nobody will relate to.
- I call bullshit. Potheads don’t buy T-Bones, they buy double cheeseburgers and more pot.
- Apparently being stoned on marijuana magically reduces your to cognitive abilities to that of a chimpanzee. Who knew.
- I inject 4 marijuanas, now i punch babies for fun.
- Hey CDOT, if you want marijuana consumers to listen to you, I’d suggest talking to them like the rational, normal adults they are instead of insulting them.
- Well I don’t know what drug he was on cuz it definitely wasn’t weed…
- I’ve never broken something or forgot to do an important step, while high. This commercial makes us look stupid.
- The stoner stereotype bullshit is insulting. Keeps perpetuating that people that smoke look and act like this. Fuck the marketing team that came up with this.
- There is a difference between being high and having down’s syndrome.
- Wow!! this is EXACTLY what being high is like!
- What a totally insulting stereotype they are building in the publics’ mind that anyone who uses cannabis becomes borderline retarded. Folks who doesn’t know better must think you automatically lose 40 IQ points afterwards. What a shame, as it has inspired so much art, beauty, and productive work by responsible users, who are unjustly subjected to this demonetization.
- Isn’t it great when people who don’t blaze it act like they know what it’s like?
The spelling mistakes were left “as is” and like I was saying “make of it what you will.”